Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Update during winter break and more fun literature

It's been a long time, sorry about that everyone! My fall quarter at the University of Cincinnati is finally over! I now have time to write again :) My grain-free, dairy-free, and legume-free diet (paleo diet) is working very well still and my blood sugars are great. Today my sugars were 80mg/dL and 84. I'm still not injecting insulin.

Last month I found out that I can make my diabetes reappear if I add some dairy to my diet (while still eliminating grain and legumes). A couple of days later I had high blood sugar readings of 120-150, the highest ever since going paleo. I quit the dairy and my sugars are back to normal again (70-115).
This makes me truly believe that I have food sensitivities to dairy and as well as grain and legumes which are triggering my autoimmune type 1 diabetes. This week I see my endocrinologist for a new A1C and C-peptide test.

The textbook, Nutrition and Immunology: Principles and Practice, has chapter 26 entitled “Nutritional Modulation of Autoimmune Diseases” which is about dietary triggers and their role in autoimmune diseases. Most of the entire chapter is free on books.google.com.

The text states,“First, food-related antigens might induce hypersensitivity responses leading to autoimmune-related symptoms. Second, nutritional factors might alter inflammatory and immune responses and consequently modulate the course of selected autoimmune diseases (316)." Type 1 diabetes is a delayed hypersensitivity response/reaction. The chapter also explains how food antigens may upset the immune system. “For a response to food to be linked plausibly to a hypersensitivity reaction, food antigens would have to cross the gastrointestinal barrier and circulate in antigenic form until recognized by...cells in the immune system. Although large molecules with antigenic proprieties are known to have very limited access to the circulation, some food antigens do cross the gastrointestinal barrier and circulate not only as food antigens but also as immune complexes." The chapter also talks about future use of dietary therapy to help treat autoimmune diseases. Type 1 diabetes is also discussed in chapter 25, but has a much limited preview on google books. It does have a good picture showing possible food antigens...until next time!



Click on "books" in blue to see full preview.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your well-researched entries, Michelle. I am anxious to get my daughter started on a Paleo-type diet. Have you heard of the cookbook "The Garden of Eating" by the Mateszes? It is dairy and grain free. (Though allows limited clarified butter.) I am working my way through the beginning now and it seems to line up with what you are doing.

    Thank you so much for your thinking through your diagnosis and being an example for others. I think most people would benefit greatly from this type of diet.

    May I ask - Do you eat only grass-fed beef? Just curious.

    God's blessing to you, Michelle!
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am also a type one and am very inspired by your blog.I have been off gluten for a year but kasein only 2 weeks, however the effect is promising as I redused my insulin further and my bs became stable.I wonder what a typical meal is/day for you and how strikt you are on the carbs and if you eat alot of fat? This because many believe it is the "way" for curing diabetes 2.Your blog makes me believe however, that we can be liberal with carbs compared to the low carb high fat.Hope you update your blog soon.Best wishes Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is really a great source of information for me. Thank you for giving me such important information.

    FOR BEST INFORMATION ABOUT DIARRHEA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you very much.
    BEST INFORMATION ABOUT DIABETES.

    ReplyDelete